Raspberry Easter Bread
- Yield 12 servings
- Prep 40 mins
- Cook 45 mins
Make the dough for this lush and buttery bread a day ahead.
A food processor makes quick work of the dough for this lush, buttery bread. You can use natural peanut butter in place of the almond paste. Make the dough a day ahead and refrigerate.
- 1 cup 2 percent reduced-fat milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 3 egg yolks (reserve 1 white for glaze)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup seedless raspberry jam or fruit-only jam
- 5 ounces canned almond paste, coarsely grated
- Cooking spray
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sliced, chopped or slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons sugar, preferably coarse sugar, such as turbinado
- To make dough, combine warm milk, 1 teaspoon sugar and yeast in a small bowl. Let stand about 10 minutes or until bubbly.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining sugar, salt, flour and butter in food processor. Pulse until well blended. Add egg yolks, yeast mixture and extracts. Process 20 to 30 seconds until thoroughly mixed and dough forms a ball. Transfer to a medium bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to 2 days.
- Remove dough from refrigerator about 90 minutes before serving. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Divide dough and form into balls, using about two-thirds of dough in one and one-third in the other. Roll out larger ball and shape into a 9-by-12-inch oval, a little thicker than a pizza crust. Transfer to baking sheet.
- Spread jam on dough to within 3/4-inch of its edges; sprinkle grated almond paste over jam.
- Roll out second portion of dough into a slightly smaller oval, and place on the first, covering the filling. Roll the edge of lower dough up around the top dough, pinching to seal filling.
- Slash a few decorative cuts in top. Cover with a clean cloth and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 45 minutes. About 30 minutes into the rise, preheat oven to 350F.
- Bake about 15 minutes. Remove, brush top with beaten egg white and sprinkle with almonds and sugar; continue baking another 25 minutes or until golden and fragrant and shiny on top. Serve, warm or hot.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.