Raspberry Cream Trifle
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 5 mins
Homemade custard and toasted pound cake surround ripe berries.
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 -- egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 -- (1/2-inch thick) slices toasted pound cake
- 2 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 2 cups fresh ripe raspberries or strawberries
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped with 1 tablespoon powdered sugar and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- -- Sliced almonds, toasted
- To prepare custard, place milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk vanilla, egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch together in a medium bowl. Add a small amount of warm milk, whisking well. Pour mixture back in saucepan and cook until thick. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Spread cake slices with half the raspberry jam; cut into 1-inch cubes. Divide slices among 4 parfait glasses.
- Place two-thirds of the raspberries on top of cake, pushing some down. Drizzle cooled custard over berries. Top with whipped cream. Top with almonds and remaining raspberries.
Recipe by Chef Jon Ashton.