Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Yield 8 servings
"The red filling makes a colorful, special Valentine breakfast treat. This recipe comes from a former elementary school principal. Once a month, different faculty members would bring potluck breakfast as a way of celebrating everyone's birthday."
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, cut into 1/2 -inch cubes
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, cut into 1/2 -inch cubes
- 1/3 cup plus 1 to 2 tablespoons, milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Place the biscuit mix in a medium bowl. Using two knives or a pastry blender, cut in the cream cheese and butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 1/3 cup of the milk and stir until blended.
- Turn the mixture onto a floured work surface and knead 8 to10 strokes. Place the dough on a large sheet of wax paper and roll it out to 12 x 18 inches. Turn the dough onto a large, greased baking sheet and remove the wax paper.
- Place the preserves in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 15 seconds to melt slightly; stir to blend. Spread the preserves evenly lengthwise down the center of the dough, about 3 inches wide.
- Make 2 1/2-inch cuts at 1-inch intervals on each side and fold the strips over the filling. Do not overlap the strips. Bake for 12 minutes, just until golden; do not overcook. Place the baking sheet on a wire rack.
- Combine the confectioners’ sugar, the remaining 1 to 2 tablespoons milk, and the vanilla in a small bowl; mix well. Drizzle evenly over the warm coffee cake. Cool completely before serving.
Recipe by Ruth Fuller Lature, Hopkinsville, Ky.