Raspberry Chocolate Scones
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4cup almond flour (or natural sliced almonds very finely chopped in a food processor)
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 8tablespoons (1 stick) cold salted butter, cut into1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4cup individually quick frozen raspberries, not thawed
- 1/2cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Finely grated rind of 1 orange
- 2/3cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4cup sliced natural almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- To prepare scones, whisk together flour, brown sugar, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Work in butter with a pastry blender or your fingertips until the mixture is crumbly with some pea-sized pieces of butter. Add raspberries, chocolate chips and orange rind and toss to coat. Add buttermilk and stir just until combined.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and gently knead a few times. Pat dough into a 1-inch-thick round.
- Cut into 8 equal wedges. Arrange 1 inch apart on prepared pan.
- To prepare topping, whisk together egg and sugar. Lightly brush top of each wedge with egg mixture, and sprinkle almonds on top, if using.
- Bake until tops of scones are golden brown and centers feel firm when pressed with your fingertip, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly on pan. Serve warm.