Rancho Gordo Drunken Beans
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 175 mins
Not sweet or tomato-y like canned baked beans, these are great over rice or served with fresh corn tortillas. Use a dark, sweet beer such as Killian’s or Michelob Amber Bock.
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1cup chopped onion
- 2cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2cups dried beans, such as Ojo de Cabra (Goat's Eye) or pinto beans
- 3/4cup dark, sweet beer
- 1 thick slice bacon
- 3 serrano peppers, seeded and minced
- 1/2pound button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lime wedges
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan; add 1/4 cup chopped onion and 1 minced garlic clove. Sauté about 5 minutes. Add beans and enough cold water to cover by 3 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, 2 hours or until beans are tender, adding water as necessary to keep beans covered.
- Add beer and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon and all but 1 tablespoon of fat from pan, reserving bacon. Add peppers and remaining onion and garlic to pan; sauté until tender. Add mushrooms; cook until tender. Chop reserved bacon and add to pan.
- Combine bacon mixture with bean mixture. Cook 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Serve with lime wedges.
Recipe courtesy of Rancho Gordo, Napa, Calif.