Raisin the Bar Cheddar Bacon Walnut Chews
- Yield 16 to 24 pieces
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 20 mins
A savory-sweet snack that pairs sharp Cheddar and walnuts with bacon and California Golden Raisins.
The rich sweetness of the raisins transforms these simple bars into something really special.
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces butter
- 1/2 cup coarsley chopped wlanuts
- 4 ounces finely shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups California golden raisins, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cooked smoked bacon
- Preheat oven to 450F. Line a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix finely ground walnuts and flour. Cut cold butter into mixture until it forms a coarse meal. Add coarsely chopped walnuts, cheese, chili powder, salt and baking soda. Mix together. Stir in heavy cream and just enough water to incorporate into a heavy dough ball.
- Press dough into the bottom of the pan. Bake 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix raisins, brown sugar, egg, apple and bacon. Spread over crust and return to oven; bake 12 to 15 minutes, until raisin mixture puffs and apple bits begin to brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.