Raisin Bread Pudding
- Yield 12 servings
- 5 cups white bread cubes (1-inch)
- 3 cups raisin bread cubes (1-inch)
- 1/2 cup raisins or currants
- 3 cups 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 2 tablespoons brandy or rum
- Preheat oven to 325F. Generously butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- To prepare pudding, place bread and raisins in pan.
- Pour milk into a mixing bowl. Add eggs, granulated sugar, vanilla, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk until well combined. Pour over bread and let stand a few minutes.
- Bake uncovered about 50 minutes, until an inserted knife comes out clean. Let cool slightly before serving.
- To prepare sauce, combine all ingredients in saucepan over low heat, stirring until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve on the side or warm pudding.
Recipe courtesy of Nancy Vienneau and Third Thursday Potluck