- Yield: 24 pieces
- 3 1/2 to 3 3/4cups pre-sifted flour
- 1/4cup sugar
- 1 1/2teaspoons salt
- 2packages active dry yeast
- 1/2cup milk
- 1/2cup water
- 4tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3cups raisins
- 2tablespoons soft butter
- Mix 1 1/4 cups flour with sugar, salt and undissolved yeast in large electric mixer bowl.
- Heat milk, water, and butter until warm and butter melts. Slowly stir into dry mixture; beat with electric mixer for 2 minutes at medium speed. Beat in eggs one at a time; add vanilla and 3/4 cup flour; beat for 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in raisins and remaining flour.
- Turn out on lightly floured board and knead for 5 minutes. Put dough in greased bowl; turn to coat all sides; cover; let rise in warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled. Punch down dough; form a ball; place on lightly floured board; cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Divide dough in half; place each half in greased loaf pan. Cover and let rise about 25 minutes. Bake 25 to 30 minutes at 375F. Remove from pans; brush with butter; slice when cool.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Little Rock’s Little Rock Cooks (Little Rock, Arkansas 1972).