Raisin-Apple and Wheat Bake
- Yield 9 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 55 mins
- 4 slices day-old whole wheat bread, cubed (about 1-1/2 c)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced (about 3 c)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups California raisins
- 6 tablespoons apple juice concentrate, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, combine bread cubes with butter; mix well. Press half of mixture in bottom of a 9-inch square glass pan. In another bowl, combine apple slices, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, raisins and concentrate. Turn apple filling into pan; spread evenly and top with remaining bread mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350F for 35 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 400F; uncover and bake for 20 minutes more. Cut into 9 squares and serve warm topped with frozen nonfat vanilla yogurt, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of the California Raisin Marketing Board