Raisin and Apple Breakfast Bread with Raisin Cream Cheese
- Yield: 9 servings
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 80 minutes
When I make this bread, I cut the loaf into slices then individually wrap the slices in plastic wrap and freeze them. In the morning before I leave for work, I grab one and it is thawed and ready to eat at my morning break.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2cups California Raisins
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4cup boiling water
- 1/2cup diced, peeled and cored apple
- 1teaspoon lemon juice
- 2tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4cup granulated sugar
- 1/4cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1unit egg, beaten
- 1/4teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/4teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- 1 1/3cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2cup chopped walnuts
- 8ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the raisins in a medium bowl. Add baking soda and boiling water; mix to combine, Cover bowl with plastic wrap; set aside.
- Place the apples in a small bowl. Add lemon juice and toss to combine; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter. Add granulated sugar and brown sugar, mix well. Add in vanilla and egg; mix well. Add 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg and flour; mix until moistened.
- Using a small strainer, remove 1/2 cup of raisins from liquid; set aside. Add remaining raisins and liquid to flour mixture and mix until fully combined. Add walnuts and apples; mix well. Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan. Bake 70 to 80 minutes, until a toothpick inserted just off-center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan 20 minutes. Remove from pan and place onto wire rack to cool completely.
- While the bread bakes, prepare raisin cream cheese. Place reserved 1/2 cup soaked raisins in a small food processor and process until smooth. Place into a medium bowl. Add cream cheese, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and cinnamon; mix well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To serve, cut cooled bread into 3/4-inch to 1-inch slices. Serve with raisin-infused cream cheese.