Radicchio Caesar Salad
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 0 mins
Crunchy, slightly bitter radicchio makes a bracing substitute for lettuce in a favorite side dish.
Inspired by Diane Morgan's recipe in "The Christmas Table" (Chronicle Books, 2008), this salad features the bitter flavors of radicchio, contrasting with the rich flavors of a Caesar dressing.
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 heads heads radicchio (about 1 1/2 pounds), cored, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 cups plain croutons
- 1/4 teaspoon Coarsely ground black pepper
- To prepare dressing, combine all ingredients in a jar; cover tightly and shake vigorously. Refrigerate until ready to use. (The dressing can be made up to 1 day in advance.)
- To prepare salad, place radicchio in a large salad bowl. Shake dressing well and pour over salad. Toss until leaves are well coated. Sprinkle with cheese; add croutons and pepper. Toss to combine.
Recipe adapted from The Christmas Table: Recipes and Crafts to Create Your Own Holiday Tradition. © 2008 by Diane Morgan. Used with permission of Chronicle Books LLC.