Quinoa with Roasted Butternut Squash and Cranberries
- Yield: 6 servings
I love all the colors and the slight bite that the vinegar gives the dish. For a special touch when I'm having this as a main course, I like to top it with goat cheese. Any soft cheese would work! Make it quick: If you are short on time you can buy frozen diced butternut squash that can be cooked in a fraction of the time it takes to cook fresh squash. Start with cooked quinoa and you can have this dish together in no time.
- 12ounces butternut squash, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2cups cooked quinoa
- 1 1/2tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4cloves garlic
- 1/2cup dried cranberries
- 1/2cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Toss squash, onion, sage and thyme with 2 T olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Roast for 45 minutes.
- Warm cooked quinoa and combine with cranberries and pecans.
- Toss balsamic vinegar, 1 T olive oil and garlic in a small bowl. Combine squash and quinoa mixture and toss with dressing.
Reprinted with permission from Wendy Polisi’s The Quintessential Quinoa Cookbook (Skyhorse Publishing, 2012).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 230
- Fat 15g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 0g
- Sodium 5mg
- Carbohydrate 23g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugars 3g
- Protein 4g