Quinoa Sweet Potato Burgers with Snow Pea Slaw
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2cups snow peas
- 3 carrots
- 1/4cup orange juice, fresh squeezed (1 orange)
- 4teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1tablespoon sesame oil
- 1teaspoon honey
- 1teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1pint salt and pepper
- 1cup water
- 1/2cup quinoa
- 1 sweet potato (to equal 1 1/2 cups shredded)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4teaspoon kosher salt
- 1pinch pepper
- 1teaspoon extra virgin olive oil or cooking spray
- Rinse the quinoa. Bring water to boil in a pot. Once the water is at a boil, add rinsed quinoa and cover. Lower heat and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes until all the water gone and quinoa is cooked. Allow to cool.
- While the quinoa is cooking, chiffonade (thinly slice) the snow peas. Set aside. Peel and shred the carrots and set aside with the snow peas.
- In a large bowl, combine the orange juice, vinegar, sesame oil, honey, ginger, and salt and pepper. Whisk until combined. Set aside until the burgers are finished and you are ready to serve.
- Peel and shred the sweet potato. You should have about 1 1/2 cups shredded.
- Place the shredded sweet potatoes on a towel, paper or fabric, and squeeze out the excess water that the sweet potato holds.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa and sweet potato. Add the beaten egg and stir. Add breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- With hands, form “burger patties.” These will be about 1/2 cup of the quinoa mixture each.
- In a griddle or large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Place the burgers on and cook for about 5 minutes. Flip and continue to cook for another 5 minutes or until the burgers are golden brown on both sides.
- Place the snow peas and carrots into the dressing and toss to coat.
- Serve the quinoa sweet potato burger on a bun or alone topped with the snow pea slaw.
—Recipe by Meredith Steele, In Sock Monkey Slippers