Quinoa Stir-Fry with Basil and Lemon
- Yield 4 servings
This vegetarian stir-fry is made with a combination of high-protein tofu and quinoa, a grain that is a complete protein offering all eight essential amino acids and a buttery, nutty flavor.
You can cook the quinoa up to 2 day before making this recipe. Place the hot cooked quinoa on a plate and let it cool before covering and refrigerating.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 pound firm or extra-firm tofu, diced
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked according to package directions*
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions, celery, peppers and garlic. Saute 5 minutes until onions are lightly browned. Add chickpeas and tofu; stir-fry 1 minute. Add spinach and cooked quinoa. Continue to stir-fry over medium heat 1 minute. Add basil, lemon, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
*To cook quinoa use 1 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth and follow package directions.