Quinoa, Spinach and Walnut Stir-Fry
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 30 mins
Discover quinoa, the super-grain, in this meatless meal.
Always a hit with Health Barn kids, quinoa (keen-wa) is a whole grain that's a complete protein, fiber-rich and chock-full of vitamins and minerals. Substitute couscous if you can't find quinoa. Toast the walnuts in the oven for 5 minutes, as they impart a lot of flavor to this dish.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Basil leaves (optional)
- Place quinoa in small bowl, add water to cover, and swish to rinse. Pour into fine mesh strainer and drain well.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Add quinoa. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until golden, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add salt and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook over medium-low until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Add spinach and tomatoes. Cook over medium heat until spinach is almost wilted and tomatoes are warmed, about 1 minute. Stir in walnuts and cheese. Garnish with basil leaves.
Recipe courtesy of Health Barn USA.
Learn more about cooking with quinoa from Relish Cooking Show Chef Brian Morris.