Quinoa Scented with Orange and Sumac
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1small onion, finely chopped
- 3/4cup quinoa
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 3/4cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1ounce toasted almond flakes
- 1/2bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2bunch mint, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2teaspoons sumac, plus a pinch for garnish
- Shiso sprouts, if available
- Heat the oil in a medium pan. Add the carrot, celery, and onion and cook over medium heat until tender. Add the quinoa and cook for 1 minute while stirring.
- Add the orange zest, juice and 3 1/2 tablespoons water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes until the quinoa is tender and the orange juice has been absorbed. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Leave to cool a little before stirring through the almonds, cilantro, mint, avocado, and sumac. Garnish with shiso sprouts if available and sprinkle with a pinch of sumac.
- Serve this with oil fish, such as mackerel.
- Also delicious served chilled with shrimp or on its own.
- Great with chile-roasted feta.
- Try cooking the quinoa in apple juice instead of orange juice.
Reprinted with permission from Maria Elia’s Full of Flavor: How to Create Like a Chef (Kyle Books, 2013)