Quinoa Salad with Apples
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Is it possible to pack more nutritional powerhouses into a single salad? Apples, kale and quinoa are packed with nutrition, but this salad also is notable for its delicious mix of flavors and texture.
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 2teaspoons honey
- 1medium shallot
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 3cups very thinly sliced kale
- 1 1/2cups quinoa
- 3cups water
- 1teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 2large tender-sweet apples, such as Fuji or Gala, unpeeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2teaspoons sugar
- 1/3cup toasted pine nuts
- 4ounces crumbled feta
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon, honey, shallot and salt. Add olive oil in a thin stream, whisking as you go. Set aside.
- Put kale in a serving bowl and set aside. Put quinoa, water, and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan, cover, and set over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook until all the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork and add to kale.
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, heat for a minute, then add apples and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes, then add sugar and continue cooking and stirring until apples begin to turn golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Add apples to quinoa, then add pine nuts, feta and dressing. Toss until evenly combined.
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Apple Association