Quinoa Salad with Apples
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
Sweetness from the apples, salty flavor from the feta, and crunch from the quinoa and pine nuts, blend together for this delicious dinner.
Is it possible to pack more nutritional powerhouses into a single salad? Apples, kale and quinoa are packed with nutrition, but this salad also is notable for its delicious mix of flavors and texture.
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 medium shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups very thinly sliced kale
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large tender-sweet apples, such as Fuji or Gala, unpeeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 4 ounces crumbled feta
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon, honey, shallot and salt. Add olive oil in a thin stream, whisking as you go. Set aside.
- Put kale in a serving bowl and set aside. Put quinoa, water, and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan, cover, and set over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook until all the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork and add to kale.
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, heat for a minute, then add apples and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes, then add sugar and continue cooking and stirring until apples begin to turn golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Add apples to quinoa, then add pine nuts, feta and dressing. Toss until evenly combined.
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Apple Association