- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 20 to 30 minutes
- Cook 10 to 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa (rinsed if needed)
- 1/2 cup unsalted raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup dried berries, like raisins or blueberries
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped (unpeeled if organic)
- 8 kale leaves, stems removed, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the quinoa and return to a boil.
- Cook until al dente, as you would pasta, 10 to 11 minutes. Drain well and spread on a baking sheet to cool, about 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, combine all the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and toss.
- Add the cooled quinoa and toss again. Taste and add until the salad is tart, sweet and crunchy and very good.
- Seal any leftover salad and store in the fridge. It will keep for several days, though you may need to re-season it a little.
Posted with permission from The Family Cooks (Rodale, 2014) by Laurie David.