- Yield 4 servings
The spices will warm you up while the whole grain quinoa keeps your heart healthy.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked and rinsed
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 (15-ounce) can of your favorite beans
- Salt and pepper
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until the onions are soft. Season with the chili powder, cumin powder, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne pepper.
- Add the vegetable broth and the quinoa. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the beans, cocoa powder, nutritional yeast and salt and pepper to taste. Turn heat up to high, bring back up to a boil and then lower to a simmer for 20-30minutes, or until the quinoa has finished cooking. While quinoa is cooking, stir occasionally so that the chili does not stick to the bottom of the pan.