Super Quinoa Burger
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1/2cups (355 ml) vegetable broth
- 1cup (173 g) uncooked quinoa
- 1can (15 oz/420 g) cannellini or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 2cups (300 g) fresh or frozen green peas
- 1/2cup (65 g) raw cashews, ground into a fine powder
- 1teaspoon green curry paste
- 1teaspoon ground ginger
- 2tablespoons (32 g) tahini paste
- 2tablespoons (30 ml) sesame oil
- 1/2cup (64 g) cornstarch
- Salt and pepper
- Oil, for frying
- Bring the vegetable broth to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a dry pan, heat the uncooked quinoa until it begins to pop (this will happen fairly quickly).
- Add the quinoa to the broth, and lower the heat to medium. Cover and cook for 12 minutes, or until all of the broth is absorbed. Remove from the heat, fluff with a fork, and let sit, uncovered, to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beans, peas, cashews, curry, ginger, tahini, and oil. Gently mush the peas and beans, but don’t completely mash; chunky is good.
- When the quinoa is cooled, fold it into the mixture and add the cornstarch and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well using your hands. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes to thicken up a bit before forming into 8 patties.
- Panfry in a smidge of oil in a pan until golden on each side, about 3 minutes per side. These taste best panfried. The oven makes them too dry, and they won’t hold up well on a grill.
–This recipe reprinted with permission from the cookbook The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet by Joni Marie Newman