- Yield 8 servings
Red pepper hummus served with corn tortillas and garnished with salsa—a perfect light meal or snack.
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1/2 cup water-packed roasted red peppers
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini (sesame seed butter)
- 1 -- garlic clove, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 -- corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 to 1 cup salsa
- Place garbanzo beans in a food processor or blender with roasted peppers, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, and cumin. Process until very smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Spread a tortilla with 2 to 3 tablespoons of garbanzo mixture and place in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle with onions, tomatoes, and salsa.
- Top with a second tortilla and cook until bottom tortilla is warm and soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and cook second side for another minute. Remove from pan and cut in half. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Healthy Eating for Life for Children by Amy Lanou, Ph.D.; recipe by Jennifer Raymond, M.S., R.D.