Quick Veggie Soup
- Yield 6 servings
Any combination of cooked leftover vegetables may be substituted for the corn and carrots in this low-calorie soup.
- 1 -- onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 -- (16-ounce) can tomato puree
- 4 cups water
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 -- (10-ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 -- (10-ounce) package frozen peas
- 1/3 cup rice
- In a large pot, saute onions and galic until done, about 7 minutes. Add tomato puree, water, salt and pepper, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, carrots and corn. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the peas and rice, cover and simmer about 40 to 45 minutes longer or until the rice is done. Remove the bay leaf before serving. Add more water if needed while cooking to keep a soup consistency.
Note: For more fiber, add a small can of garbanzo beans, if desired.