- 2pounds fresh, seasonal veggies (carrot, radish, cucumber, asparagus, young green beans, daikon or parsnip), peeled and shredded or cut into thin slices or matchsticks.
- 3teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 1/2cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar or light agave syrup, divided
- 1cup lukewarm water
- 1 to 1 1/4cup rice wine or cider vinegar
- Toss cut veggies with 2 teaspoons salt and 2 teaspoons sugar in a large mixing bowl. Set aside 10 minutes. Pour veggies into a colander and rinse well under cold running water. Drain.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a quart jar or other container with a tight-fitting lid. Shake until sugar is dissolved. Remove lid and add veggies, packing them in tightly. Replace lid and seal. Allow to marinate at least 2 hours for best flavor. Store in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Makes 1 quart; serves 8.
**Note: Add 1 teaspoon star anise, cinnamon, clove, garlic, fennel seed or your favorite spice.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 80
- Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 520mg
- Carbohydrate 18g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 1g