Quick Fried Rice
- Yield 4 servings
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups bite-size pieces cooked fish or meat
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- Leaves from 2 sprigs thyme (optional)
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat until it shimmers. Add onion and cook 2 minutes. Add rice and cook, breaking up chunks and mixing grains with oil and onion, about 2 minutes.
- Crack eggs onto rice and cook until almost set, stirring to break up yolks and coat rice, about 1 minute. Add fish and vegetables and cook, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Add oyster sauce and thyme and cook about 1 minute, stirring often. Check seasonings, adding salt or more oyster sauce if needed, then serve hot.
Posted with permission from Kathy Brennan and Caroline Campion’s Keepers: Two Home Cooks Share Their Tried-and-True Weeknight Recipes and Secrets to Happiness in the Kitchen (Rodale, 2013).