Quick Fix Macaroni and Cheese Muffins
- Yield 12 servings
Macaroni and cheese muffins? You heard correctly. Simply mix cooked macaroni with a few ingredients, scoop it into muffin tins, and presto: healthy, portion-controlled, marvelous macaroni and cheese that you can eat out of hand.
- 8 ounces small elbow macaroni
- 2 cups reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Place paper or foil liners in a 12-cup muffin tin and spray lightly with non-stick baking spray.
- Cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Drain and immediately return to the pot. Add the cheese and stir until it is nearly melted.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and milk. Add the egg and whisk until smooth. Pour the milk mixture over the macaroni and mix well.
- In a small bowl combine the butter and the breadcrumbs. Scoop the macaroni mixture evenly into the prepared muffin tins (it will be wet and milky, but don’t worry, it will bake up fine). Sprinkle 2 teaspoons crumbs on each and bake for 20 minutes.
Marlene Says: While any elbow macaroni will do, I used Ronzoni Smart Taste pasta, a white pasta that’s fortified with fiber, calcium and vitamins for these delicious, nutritious, calcium-rich “muffins.”
Recipe reprinted with permission from Eat More of What You Love © 2012 by Marlene Koch, Running Press, a member of the Perseus Book Group.