Quick Cheese Grits
- Yield 10 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 5 mins
Take a shortcut to cheese grits, a party and brunch favorite.
Cheese grits are hard to beat and especially with this simple recipe. For a heartier version to start your busy day sauté 2 cups each of onion, green pepper, Canadian bacon, and tomatoes, then stir into cooked grits.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups quick grits
- 4 ounces reduced-fat pasteurized processed cheese spread
- 6 ounces reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- In saucepan, bring water, milk and salt to a boil. Add grits, reduce heat, and cook approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cheeses, margarine, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and red pepper. Stir until margarine and cheeses have melted.
Recipe by Holly Clegg. Reprinted with permission from The New Holly Clegg Trim & Terrific Cookbook (Running Press, 2006). Visit http://www.HollyClegg.com for ordering information.