Quick Apple Dumpling
- Yield 8 servings
"I have four girls who all live out of town. Every time they call to say they are coming home, they want to know if I am going to make them apple dumplings, they love them so much."
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples
- 1 (8-count) package refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup very finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8-inch-square baking dish.
- Peel and core apples. Cut each apple into fourths. Unroll and separate crescent roll dough. Wrap each apple section in a crescent roll. Place in pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Combine butter, sugar and orange juice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla. Pour over dumplings. Sprinkle pecans over top.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until crust is golden and beginning to bubble and apples are just tender when pierced with a fork.
- To serve, spoon some of the syrup from the baking dish over dumplings. Serve with ice cream, if desired.
– Recipe by Linda Walker, Smithville, Tenn.