Quick and Easy Cobbler
- Yield 6 servings
This cobbler recipe is good for any fruit and comes together quickly
"I grew up in the South where cobblers are made frequently. My mother made this many times. My family carries on the cobbler tradition to this day."
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons self-rising flour or favorite baking mix
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- 3 cups fresh fruit or 1 (15-ounce) can
- Stir together 1 cup of the flour, 1 cup of the sugar, and the milk for the batter, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Melt the butter in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Toss together the fruit, 2/3 cup of the sugar, and 2 tablespoons of the flour. Pour the batter into the baking dish.
- Spoon the fruit mixture over the top. Do not stir.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the batter is golden and the fruit is bubbly. Serve warm with ice cream.
Recipe by Billie Terwillegar, Valencia, Calif.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen:
This juicy cobbler can be thickened by adding 1/2 cup of baking mix to the batter. If you prefer a more cake-like cobbler, double the batter recipe. Use one of the seasonal fresh fruits available at the market, or consider picking your own at a local farm or orchard. This easy cobbler is delicious chilled or warm. It travels well when cooled and even makes a delicious breakfast.