Quick-and-Easy Chicken Gumbo Soup
- Yield: 4 to 9 servings
- 6 to 8-- chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1large onion, cut into quarters
- -- Salt to taste
- 1teaspoon thyme
- 1teaspoon ground bay leaf
- 1teaspoon gumbo file
- 1tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1cup uncooked rice
- 8ounces spaghetti, broken into pieces
- dash Creole seasoning
- 1package frozen gumbo vegetable mix
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- Combine the chicken, onion, salt to taste with water to cover in a saucepan. Cook until the chicken is tender. Remove the chicken from the saucepan. Remove and discard the chicken bones. Return the chicken to the saucepan. Add the thyme, bay leaf, gumbo file, Worcestershire sauce, rice, spaghetti, Creole seasoning, vegetable mix and 1/2 teaspoon salt and mix well. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat. Simmer, covered, until all the vebetables are tender.
Recipe reprinted with permission from AT&T Pioneers’ Calling All Cooks four ( AT&T Pioneers Alabama Chapter, Birmingham Al., 2000).