Quick-and-Easy Chicken Gumbo Soup
- Yield 4 to 9 servings
If your looking for a hearty and comforting soup in a hurry then you must try this recipe.
- 6 to 8 -- chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 large onion, cut into quarters
- -- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon gumbo file
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 8 ounces spaghetti, broken into pieces
- dash Creole seasoning
- 1 package frozen gumbo vegetable mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine the chicken, onion, salt to taste with water to cover in a saucepan. Cook until the chicken is tender. Remove the chicken from the saucepan. Remove and discard the chicken bones. Return the chicken to the saucepan. Add the thyme, bay leaf, gumbo file, Worcestershire sauce, rice, spaghetti, Creole seasoning, vegetable mix and 1/2 teaspoon salt and mix well. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat. Simmer, covered, until all the vebetables are tender.
Recipe reprinted with permission from AT&T Pioneers’ Calling All Cooks four ( AT&T Pioneers Alabama Chapter, Birmingham Al., 2000).