Quaker Bonnet Lemon Angel Pies
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- Meringue shells:
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1/2cups superfine sugar
- 1cup egg yolks
- 1/2cup sugar
- 1/2cup lemon juice
- 1teaspoon lemon zest
- 1cup whipped cream
- Beat the egg whites in a mixer bowl until soft peaks form. Add 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar gradually, beating constantly until stiff and glossy. Do not overbeat the meringue or it will break down.
- Pipe the meringue into individual shells on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet or baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake at 150 to 175 degrees for 3 hours. Leave the oven door ajar if you are not able to set the oven that low. The shells may be baked at 150 degrees for as much as 12 hours to be sure the shells are completely dry.
- Combine the egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest in a double boiler.
- Cook until the mixture holds a ribbon for 3 seconds when the whisk is lifted from the mixture, whisking constantly.
- Let stand until cool.
- Spoon into the meringue shells.
- Spread with the whipped cream.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Buffalo, Great Lake Effects, Buffalo Beyond Winter and Wings (The Junior League of Buffalo, Inc., 1997).