Pumpkin Sweet Potato Coconut Pie
- Yield 12 servings
This recipe starts with a pumpkin custard, mixes in some sweet potatoes, and then gives it a Caribbean flair with coconut milk and coconut topping.
- 1 (15-ounce) can cut sweet potatoes in syrup, reserve 1/4 cup syrup, drain remainder
- 1 (15-ounce) can 100% pure pumpkin
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 large or extra large eggs, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 prepared, refrigerated single-crust piecrust
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon light corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine sweet potatoes, reserved syrup, coconut milk, pumpkin, brown sugar, melted butter, 2 eggs, cinnamon, ginger and allspice in the work bowl of a food processor. Process in pulses until completely smooth, about 1 minute. Line a pie plate with prepared crust and crimp the edges. Note that you will have to roll the crust to be about 1 inch bigger all around if using a 9 1/2-inch pie plate.
- Fill crust with the filling and even the surface. Bake for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, mix the remaining egg, coconut, corn syrup and vanilla in a mixing bowl until well combined. Spread over the surface of the baked filling. Return to the oven and bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes, until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool for at least 1 hour before serving.