Gluten-Free Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies
- Yield 11 servings
Are you a fan of the pumpkin cake roll that has a cream cheese filling? This soft pumpkin cookie is a cross between a whoopie pie and a pumpkin cake roll.
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sorghum
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup shortening (for filling)
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar (for filling)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (for filling)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (for filling)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the oil and sugar. Beat well. Add the sorghum flour and beat well. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl at least once during mixing. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Continue beating until the dough comes together; it will be soft and airy.
- Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of the dough onto the prepared pan. Press to 1⁄4-inch thickness with moist fingertips.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the cookies just begin to brown at the edges. Let cool on wire racks.
- For the filling, blend all the ingredients until light and fluffy. Press a tablespoon of filling between two cookies (bottom sides facing) and press together to form a sandwich. Repeat to make the other sandwiches.
From the book The Ultimate Gluten-Free Cookie Book, by Roben Ryberg. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2010.