Pumpkin Pound Cake
- Yield: 18 servings
For perfect glazing consistency, you need the right proportion of sugar and liquid. A few too many drops of liquid and the glaze will be too runny. But it’s an easy thing to fix—just add a little more powdered sugar.
- 2 1/4cups all-purpose flour
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 2/3cup unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1cup granulated sugar
- 3/4cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/4teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/3cups canned pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2cups sifted powdered sugar
- 4 1/4teaspoons water, about
- 1 1/2tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts
- To prepare cake, preheat oven to 325F. Coat a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with baking spray.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt onto a piece of wax paper.
- Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in pumpkin (will look curdled.) Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Turn to low speed; gradually add flour mixture and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into pan, smooth top and bake 1 hour 20 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan and finish cooling on rack.
- To prepare glaze, beat powdered sugar and water to make a thick glaze, adding a few drops more water if necessary. Spread over top of cake and sprinkle nuts in strip down center.