Pumpkin Pie Squares
- Yield: 24 servings
- 1-- (2-layer) package yellow cake mix
- 1/2cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1-- egg
- 1-- (16-ounce) can pumpkin
- 1tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2cup packed brown sugar
- 2-- eggs
- 2/3cup evaporated milk
- 1/4cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1/4cup (1/2 stick) cold butter
- Remove and reserve 1 cup of the cake mix. Combine the remaining cake mix, 1/2 cup butter and 1 egg in a bowl and mix well. Press over the bottom of a greased 9×13-inch baking pan. Combine the pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, brown sugar, 2 eggs and the evaporated milk in a bowl and mix well. Pour evenly over the cake mix layer in the baking pan. Combine the 1 cup reserved cake mix, the granulated sugar, cinnamon and pecans in a bowl and mix well. Cut in 1/4 cup cold butter with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over the pumpkin layer. Bake at 425F for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350F and bake for 40 to 45 minutes longer. Remove to a wire rack. Cut into squares when cool.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Heritage Hall’s To Learn, to Lead…To Serve(Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 2008).