Pumpkin Pie Squares
- Yield 24 servings
Serve with a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
- 1 -- (2-layer) package yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 -- egg
- 1 -- (16-ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 -- eggs
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) cold butter
- Remove and reserve 1 cup of the cake mix. Combine the remaining cake mix, 1/2 cup butter and 1 egg in a bowl and mix well. Press over the bottom of a greased 9×13-inch baking pan. Combine the pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, brown sugar, 2 eggs and the evaporated milk in a bowl and mix well. Pour evenly over the cake mix layer in the baking pan. Combine the 1 cup reserved cake mix, the granulated sugar, cinnamon and pecans in a bowl and mix well. Cut in 1/4 cup cold butter with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over the pumpkin layer. Bake at 425F for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350F and bake for 40 to 45 minutes longer. Remove to a wire rack. Cut into squares when cool.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Heritage Hall’s To Learn, to Lead…To Serve(Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 2008).