Pumpkin Pecan Butterflies
- Yield: 2 1/2 dozens
"Our children have enjoyed this tasty treat for years. There's so much nutrition packed into this little cookie, including loads of vitamin A and fiber, that we eat them for breakfast sometimes."
- 2cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1cup oats
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2tablespoons pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1cup (2 sticks) butter, cut in small pieces
- 1 1/2cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1/2cup chopped pecans
- 1/2cup chocolate chips
- 30 almonds
- 60 (1-inch) pieces of pull-and-peel licorice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Stir flour, oats, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt together in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, blend butter and brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Add butter mixture to the flour mixture. Stir in pumpkin. Add pecans. Mix well by hand.
- Roll dough into 60 1-inch balls. Press two balls together, pressing top center of wings out a bit. Press almond in center where two balls come together. Decorate wings with chocolate chips.
- Bake about 15 minutes. While still hot, quickly push in licorice pieces for antennas.
Recipe by Connie Lindsey, Sauk City, Wis.