- Yield 6 servings
Hot off the Hogwarts Express, these buttery and flaky pastry treats are stuffed with sweet pumpkin filling.
In chapter 6 of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling, Harry has money for the very first time buys everything off of the snacks witch's cart - Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans, Chocolate Frogs, Cauldron Cakes and Pumpkin Pasties were just a few.
- Pasty Crust
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled and cut into chunks
- 4-6 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to combine. Scatter the butter and shortening over the flour mixture. Pulse about 15 times until the mixture resembles coarse yellow meal, with no white powdery bits remaining.
- Transfer the mixture into a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of cold water over the moisture. Toss the mixture together with a spatula until it starts clumping together. If it’s too dry, add more water 1 tablespoon at a time (better too wet than too dry). Gather the dough into a ball and pat it into a disk. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 1 hour.
- Combine the pumpkin, sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Mix well. Preheat the oven to 400F. Roll out the dough 1/8 inch think. Use a saucer to cur out 6-inch circles.
- Put 2 to 3 tablespoons of filling in the center of each circle of dough. Moisten the edges with water, fold the dough over the filling, and crimp with a fork to seal the edges. Cut slits to make vents. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 30 minutes or until browned.
—Recipe reprinted with permission from The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook by Dinah Bucholz (Adams Media, 2010).