Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies with Chocolate Chips
- Yield: 2 dozens
Adapted from a recipe for Oatmeal Cookies with Dried Peaches from the Desserts from the Famous Loveless Cafe cookbook, this recipe gets a heaping handful of chocolate chips, a heavy dollop of pumpkin puree and little gems of dried currants.
- 1 1/3cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2cups rolled oats
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4cups sugar
- 2tablespoons sorghum syrup or molasses
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/3cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3cup chocolate chips
- 1/2cup dried currants
- Preheat oven to 375F (350F for convection ovens). Line 2 sturdy cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice and stir to combine. In a mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar, sorghum, pumpkin and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed. Note: The mixture will not be fluffy due to the addition of the pumpkin.
- Beat in egg and scrape sides of bowl. Add flour mixture then chocolate chips and currants. Blend until combined (try not to over-mix).
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoons about 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 12 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking time. Let cookies set for a few minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.