Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese
- Yield 8 servings
Seasonal pumpkin sneaks into this kid-favorite dish. A perfect dish to have on hand for Halloween night.
- 3 cups mostaccioli or penne pasta, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups 2% reduced fat milk
- 3/4 cup canned or fresh pumpkin puree
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Comte or Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Drain.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat until foamy. Whisk in flour and cook 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk, making sure there are no lumps. Add pumpkin puree and mix well. Remove from heat. Add cheeses, salt, nutmeg and black pepper
- When cheese is melted combine with drained noodles. Pour into baking pan.
- Bake uncovered 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Recipe by Jill Melton.