Pumpkin Cheddar Muffins
- Yield 12 pieces
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 15 mins
From salty to savory to sweet to crunchy, this muffin has it all.
These savory muffins are studded with poblano peppers and Cheddar, making them a perfect accompaniment to soup or chili.
- Streusel Topping:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup finely shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1/3 cup roasted salted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup mashed cooked pumpkin
- 2 roasted poblano peppers, peeled, seeded and finely diced, or 1/4 cup chopped canned green chiles
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- To prepare the streusel, combine butter and flour with a pastry blender until crumbly. Add cheese, brown sugar and cayenne. Stir in pepitas.
- To prepare the muffins, spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Combine egg, buttermilk, sugar, butter and pumpkin; whisk well. Stir into flour mixture. Add poblanos and stir gently. Spoon into muffin cups. Sprinkle streusel topping over each muffin.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.