Pumpkin Carbonara with Paccheri
- 1large onion, thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- 2cups diced, seeded, and peeled kabocha or butternut squash
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2large egg yolks
- Pecorino, or other aged cheese
- 1pound paccheri, or any other shirt, thick pasta
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil and cook onions until they are very soft, about 8 minutes. Raise the heat to high and continue cooking until onions are golden and caramelized, about 4 more minutes. Remove onions from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add another 1-2 tablespoons oil and fry the squash until tender and golden at the edges, about 8 minutes. Return onions to pan, season with salt and pepper, and keep warm.
- In a large serving bowl, beat egg yolks with pepper and 2 heaping tablespoons grated cheese.
- Boil the pasta in salted water until al dente, drain and toss in the egg mixture, stirring until creamy, then stir in the hot onion-squash mixture. Serve topped with grated or shaved cheese.
—Reprinted with permission from Pasta Modern: New and Inspired Recipes from Italy. Copyright 2013, Stewart, Tabori & Chang.