- Yield 16 servings
"This is one of my family's favorite recipes. I use it at Christmas because my family doesn't like traditional fruit cake."
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 (15-ounce) can pure pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup raisins, soaked in warm water, then drained
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 (1-pound) box confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix oil and sugar with an electric mixer. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, allspice and cinnamon. Add pumpkin to mixture. Add flour mixture.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well.
- Add vanilla, pecans, raisins and pineapple; mix well. Pour into tube or Bundt pan or 3 very small (5-by-3-inch) loaf pans.
- Bake 1 hour, if using tube or Bundt pan. Test the small ones after baking 30 minutes. Cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- To prepare the icing, mix margarine and cream cheese with an electric mixer. Add sugar and salt. Mix until well blended. Add pecans and vanilla. Spread on cooled cake.
Recipe by Allene Scherm, Stuttgart, Ark