Pumpkin Bread with Raisins and Walnuts
- Yield servings
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Position a rack in the center of the oven.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a mixing bowl and stir with a fork or whisk until thoroughly combined. Be sure to break up any lumps of brown sugar.
- Combine the pumpkin, olive oil, and eggs in a separate bowl with 1/4 cup water. Beat until perfectly blended. Stir in the nuts and raisins.
- Gently stir the dry ingredients into the liquid ingredients just until combined; a rubber spatula works best. Do not overmix or the bread will not rise.
- Pour the batter into a 9 x 5-inch pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan slightly, 5 to 10 minutes. Turn out onto a rack and cool thoroughly. Cut into 8 equal slices.
Reprinted with permission from The Pink Ribbon Diet, Da Capo Press (Perseus Books)