Pumpkin Applesauce Muffins
- Yield 24 servings
A delicious, nutty fall breakfast
These muffins are very moist and delicious healthy snack. They are good with a glass of milk for breakfast. I have enjoyed making them for holiday gift baskets for many years. They are always well received.
- 2/3 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 2 2/3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce, any style
- 1 cup pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2/3 cup apple juice
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon mace
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease the cups of muffin tins.
- Cream together the shortening and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time. Stir in the applesauce and pumpkin until well mixed.
- Next add the apple juice, flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Don’t over mix. When just smooth, add the salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and mace. Stir in the walnuts.
- Pour into the prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
—Cheri Marcovitch, Santa Clarita, CA