Pumpkin Apple Bread with Cinnamon Topping
- Yield: 2 loaves servings
- 3cups flour
- 2teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2teaspoons cinnamon
- 1teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4teaspoon allspice
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 1can (16 ounce) pumpkin
- 3/4cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/4cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2cups chopped and peeled Granny Smith apples
- Cinnamon topping:
- 1teaspoon flour
- 5tablespoons sugar
- 1teaspoon cinnamon
- 1tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
For the bread:
- Sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt together.
- Combine the pumpkin, oil, sugar and eggs in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir to mix well. Fold in the apples.
- Spoon into 2 buttered 5×9-inch loaf pans.
For the topping:
- Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon and butter in a bowl and mix until it resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle over the bread batter.
- Place on the center rack of an oven preheated to 350 degrees. Bake for 50 minutes.
- Cool in the pans for 45 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store, wrapped in plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Roanoke Valley, Virginia, Inc., Oh My Stars! Recipes That Shine (The Junior League of Roanoke, Valley, Virginia, Inc., 2000)