Pulled ‘Shroom Sandwich
- Yield 4 servings
A mushroom sandwich for barbecue lovers that can be made year round on the stove.
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic steak sauce
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 4 sandwich buns
- Coleslaw (optional)
- Heat the oil in a cast-iron pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and onions to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and stir in the garlic. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the mushrooms and onions have caramelized, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix together the steak sauce, bbq sauce and dijion mustard.
- When the mushrooms and onions have caramelized add the steak sauce mixture and stir together.
- Place 1/4 of the mushrooms on a bun and top with your favorite slaw, if desired.