Chicken Burgers with Apple-Onion Relish
- Yield 4 servings
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 -- Granny Smith apple, finely diced
- 1 large onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- pinch of fresh grated nutmeg
- -- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon Herbs de' Provence
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh, chopped tarragon
- 1 cup (give or take) grated gruyere cheese
- -- Red and Green lettuce leaves for topping
- 4 -- ciabatta rolls, sliced in half and lightly toasted
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- -- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped chives, plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon store bought pre roasted garlic cloves
FOR THE RELISH: Add the butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion, apple, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste until the apples and onion slices are very tender and golden brown (about 15 minutes). Set aside.
FOR THE BURGERS: In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, Herbs de' Provence, fennel seed, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and tarragon. Form the mixture into 4 patties and cook in a large skillet over medium heat for about 8 – 9 minutes per side, or until completely done in the center. After flipping the burgers the first time, pile grated gruyere on top of each patty so it can melt while the second side cooks.
FOR THE AIOLI: In a blender or small food processor, combine the mayo, sour cream, lemon juice and zest, parsley, chives, and roasted garlic. Blend until thoroughly combined.
Spread an even layer of aioli onto the top and bottom halves of each roll. Place a red and green lettuce leaf on the bottom half of each roll. Top the lettuce on each roll with a chicken cheeseburger and pile some of the apple-onion relish on top. Serve the burgers open faced with the tops of the rolls propped up against the side of each burger. Garnish the dish with some of the remaining chopped chives and serve right away. Serves 4.