Provencal Beef Stew
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 100 mins
Stew often tastes better the next day because the flavors have time to blend and intensify, so make it a day or two ahead of time and reheat for an easy dinner.
- 2pounds boneless beef chuck shoulder roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon pepper
- 4teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1cup chopped onion
- 1tablespoon minced garlic
- 1cup dry red wine
- 3cups ready-to-serve beef broth
- 14 1/2ounces can diced tomatoes with garlic, undrained
- 1tablespoon herbes de Provence
- 1pound new potatoes, cut into quarters
- 2small zucchini, cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2small yellow squash, cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/2cup niçoise olives, pitted and cut in half
- 1/4cup chopped fresh basil
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Combine flour, salt and pepper. Reserve 1 tablespoon flour mixture. Lightly coat beef with remaining flour mixture.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown 1/2 of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining 2 teaspoons oil and remaining beef. Remove beef from stockpot.
- Add onion and garlic to stockpot; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until onions are tender. Add wine; increase heat to medium-high. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until browned bits attached to stockpot are dissolved. Stir in broth, tomatoes, herbes de Provence and reserved flour mixture. Return beef to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Add potatoes, zucchini and yellow squash to stockpot; continue simmering, covered, 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add olives and basil; cook, uncovered, 2 to 3 minutes or until olives are heated through. Serve with cheese, if desired.
Adapted from The Healthy Beef Cookbook, by the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association and the American Dietetic Association (John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 2006).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Glycemic Load 0
- Calories 550
- Fat 24g
- Saturated Fat 9g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g
- Monounsaturated Fat 11g
- Cholesterol 125mg
- Sodium 1120mg
- Potassium 1250mg
- Carbohydrate 31g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugars 5g
- Protein 43g
- Trans Fat 1g
- Vitamin A 8%
- Vitamin C 50%
- Calcium 10%
- Iron 45%