Pretzel Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Yield: 20-24 servings
- Prep: 20-25 minutes
- Cook: 10-12 minutes
- 2sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1cup packed light brown sugar
- 1cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 large yolk
- 1 1/4teaspoons teaspoons natural vanilla extract
- 2 1/2cups sifted pastry flour, or 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour plus 1⁄2 cup sifted cake flour (sift before measuring)
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1 semisweet chocolate chips
- 1cup crushed salted pretzels
- Whisk both sugars with butter in a large bowl to combine. Whisk in egg and egg yolk, one at a time, then whisk in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. Add this dry mixture, one third at a time, to wets, mixing with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Fold in chocolate chips and pretzels until evenly distributed. Allow mixture to chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325F, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Line two half-sheet baking pans with parchment paper.
- Form dough into balls about the size of whole walnuts and place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets (about 9 balls per sheet).
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until edges are light brown and centers are still wet—don’t over bake.
- Immediately transfer cookies to a cooling rack. Cool for 1 hour before serving.
To make a salted chocolate pretzel ice cream sandwich, pair with salted chocolate Almond Joy ice cream.
Reprinted with permission from the publisher Houghton Mifflin Harcourt from the Coolhaus Ice Cream Book by Natasha Case, Freya Estreller with Kathleen Squires. © 2014