- Yield 25 to 30 pieces
Make plenty of these for Christmas gift giving, be sure to keep some for yourself!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 1/4 cups chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Combine the sugar, buttermilk, baking soda and salt in a saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil. Cook over high heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the pecans and butter. Reduce the heat and stir the mixture. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes or to 235 to 240 degrees on a candy thermometer, soft-ball stage.
- Remove from the heat and let stand for a few minutes. Beat until the mixture thickens and begins to lose its luster.
- Pour by spoonfuls onto waxed paper. Let stand until cool.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Lafayette, Inc., Something to Talk About, Occasions We Celebrate in South Louisiana (the Junior League of Lafayette, Inc., 2005)