Praline Yam Casserole
- Yield 8 servings
This is sweet enough to serve as a dessert.
- 4 medium yams cooked and peeled or two 1-pound 4-ounce cans
- 2 -- eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- Orange Sauce:
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur (optional)
- 3 dashes aromatic bitters (optional)
- Peel and quarter yams. Boil until tender. Drain and mash. Combine yams with eggs, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of melted butter and salt. Place mixture in a 1-quart casserole. Arrange pecan halves in a pattern over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar and drizzle with remaining butter. Bake uncovered in a 375F oven for 20 minutes. Serve with orange sauce.
- To prepare the orange sauce. Put first six ingredients in the top of a double boiler. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly until sauce thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in butter. Add orange liqueur and/or bitters if desired.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Baton Rouge, Inc.’s River Road Recipes II (Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 1976).